Friday, September 25, 2009

Harlem experience


It's really unfortunate sometimes when our perceptions limit us in exploring some of the greatest unfound treasures in nyc. After our trip to the American museum of Natural History, we decided to finally venture into a place that many people I know deem unsafe. However, we made the trek Harlem to experience what it had to offer. What you find is a great diversity of people (friendly people at that), vibrant community, and of course, the restaurants. I had the awesome opportunity to go to Slyvia's and for what it was worth, it was quite the experience.

Sylvia's brought to me something I haven't had in a really long time, homemade comfort food. It's tragic how restaurants and people in general have resorted to processed and prepackaged foods, but Sylvia's showed how food from scratch, despite the increased effort, is still the best. In a world where people's lives are so hectic, it's nice to see people cook their food with love and it shows in their cooking. Having their smothered fried chicken with gumbo and collared greens was an experience all in itself. After the first bite, I was amazed at the difference in quality between Sylvia's homemade cooking and well, fast food giants. The chicken was not just chicken from a bucket, but rather chicken that you knew took days to make. The gravy smothering it was no ordinary gravy, but gravy that complemented everything from the cornbread to the collared greens with its suttle sweatness and immense flavor. The collared greens in itself was a whole story. The flavor in those collared greens was nothing like I've had before, and with every bite, I was amazed at how perfect it was. The spices, sweatness, the flavor of that stewed turkey leg, and the texture all worked in perfect harmony, resulting in a taste that not only made me devour my side dish, but left a mark that will forever stay in my mind.

If there's anything that Sylvia's reminded me of, it's that how a home cooked meal is still the best. What is it about comfort food that makes it so good? Is it the greasiness? Is it the flavor? Is it the memories? I believe comfort food brings us back to our past, the food that we loved as kids. Maybe it's that food that brings comfort and relaxation to us despite all the craziness that life can be. Or Maybe food can give us that break and let us enjoy time with friends and family. Whatever it is, food does something that we simply can't explain.

Will I give Sylvia's the five out of five star rating? Unfortunately, no, but I will give it 3.5 stars for the homemade comfort food that brought me such joy knowing there are restaurants that still make food from scratch. The food wasn't perfect, but it was made from scratch and more importantly, with love. But I have to say, the service was average at best, and the portions for the price could've have been bigger. Despite all this, the taste as I kept eating each and every bite kept me wanting for more, and in the end, was the trek to 125th St. and Lenox Ave. worth it? After the mean, I wonder what was I waiting for this whole time? What made me wait to experience a place like this? I don't think I have the answer to that question, but hopefully, this will be a start of a journey that leads me to experience new flavors, cuisines, places creativity, and in the end, a full and satisfied stomach.

2 comments:

  1. niceee first postttt!!!! :)
    keep it up homie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making your food blog peter! You really should take more pictures though :)

    Invest in an DSLR camera

    ReplyDelete